Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

WHEN WORDS HURT

 
Sometimes we can truly be hurt. Not physically but emotionally by friends or family through the wonderful little tongue in our mouth. If we do not think before we speak we can really damage someones' emotions. The tongue is dangerous. The Bible says with it we bless men or curse them and this should not be so. (See James 3:9).
 
In writing, especially on a journey like I am on trying to decide which path to take, I ask for constructive comments. I realize I am not going to get all praise and I don't. When you do get bad comments, even though the people mean well, the enemy can use that to burst your bubble. My writing bubble just about popped  today as I struggled what to write after being critiqued. Ouch, it hurts to get a bad review or comment. In life we are going to get both bad and good. We need to build upon the constructive criticism and pray for God's guidance. When I do start submitting things to publishers I will have some rejection so it is better to be prepared now even though we may not like what we hear about how we could improve.
 
As a writer,we may feel because we do not hear from people ,that our words are meaningless ,but then again when a positive comment does reach you it makes your day. I say, thanks Lord for using me and my words to help someone. Even when I regularly wrote letters to the editor I would occasionally get thanked. That brought a smile to my face.
 
Not all words in life are going to be good. People get fired, counseled, critiqued, put down, and yelled at. There are times when those kind of words are appropriate but in our normal day to day walk as a Christian we should try our best as believers to be 'positive and encouraging' ,as our local Christian radio station WAY FM says in their motto. The supposed negative constructive comments can be a trial of sorts. When we go through trials we get strengthened so look at trials as a way to grow and become better. (See James 1:3)
 
Ephesians 4:29 says, "Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth but only that which is helpful in building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen. " Words have the power to crush and wound or heal and build up. Romans 14:19 says for us "to do whatever we can to do those things that lead to peace."  
 
PRAYER: Father there are times in life that call for constructive criticism. Give us gracious spirits if we have to be the one making the comments and give us grace if we are on the receiving end. Lord we ask that you soften our words so that they might be pleasing to you. Help us think before we speak. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment