Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

QUALITY TIME

 
 
I am typing with one  hand as I have my cat Moses to thank  for the idea to todays devotion. I was trying to work when he jumps up in my lap and is sitting cuddled up on my left arm. It reminded me as a young mom back in the late 80's when my children would want attention and mommy's time. Work could wait. You can always do laundry but you can not bring back those special moments of just sitting and cuddling. Maybe it  was getting on the floor and playing with Lego's or coloring, it doesn't matter. Quality time was what was needed.
 
 Today I am having a 'blast from the past ' too watching 'Gospel Bill ' and 'Adventures in Odyssey' on Christian TV. These were shows I watched with my sons ,who are now all grown up. It made me think of how some folks pop their children down to let TV babysit. It is so much better to watch limited TV and sit with them and make it something where they can grow in their spirit or learn. I am sad today when I see mom's in the store yacking on their cell phone telling their children to be quiet. Cell phones get in the way of so many things but they should not come between young moms and their kids, in my humble opinion. Sometimes cell phone interruptions are down right rude.
 
But back to my title 'Quality Time". God is kind of like that cat of mine. He sits and purrs and wants attention but too many of us are too busy to give Him any time. I heard an analogy once about tithing time with God similar to how we should tithe our income to ministries. Just like money really belonging to God and we are to be good stewards of it and give it cheerfully not because we have to(see 2 Corinthians 9:7), so too we should give time to God because we want to do it and not to check off some morning quiet time block and have it be meaningless and mundane. God sits and waits and is wanting to be with you and have you spend time with him.
 
If you do not know how to do this start with a Psalm. Or better yet whatever day of the week it is go to the book of Proverbs and read the corresponding chapter to what date is on calendar since there are 31 chapters in the psalms. As for praying, that is simply having a conversation with God. He is your friend, your Abba Father, daddy. You do not need to come to him with eloquent Kings James English. He just wants you to talk to Him.
 
Matthew 11:28 says,"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. " 1 John 5:14-15 says " This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. "

 
PRAYER: Dear Lord we thank you for who you are. We know you are wanting us to come to you in prayer and daily time. Forgive us  for letting the 'busy monster' squeeze you out of our day. Father we need you and the enemy, Satan, loves it when we rush through the day and forget  you. Without you we can not grow and know you. Lord help me to plan my day so there is time to spend with you. Help me to plan my day around you not the other way around. In Jesus Name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment