Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

HUMILITY

What is exactly does it mean to be humble? Without going to a dictionary I would say basically not thinking you are wonderful in all that you do and 'Gods gift' to whatever it is you are involved in. No one likes to be around people that brag all the time, but it can be more subtle things too that we all can be guilty of. When you start to get complimented a good deal on something you do, unless you ask God to help you give Him the glory for your abilities,then your may fall into the trap of  thinking to yourself,"I am something aren't I?

 I know in writing letters to the editor, as I have done frequently since the early 90's, it is nice when folks comment on them,to include total strangers who seek you out to thank you, and you think to yourself, I am pretty fortunate to have that printed. But when you write and write and nothing gets put in then you step back and say,' wow, I guess there are other good writers too' and eat some humble pie. Not that I go around with a haughty attitude, because I try not to ,but one can get spoiled when people keep patting you on the back. You have to ask the Lord for a spirit of humility. Let others be the one to point out the good things. Resist the urge to tell others of your 'glory days'. As an Army boss I had back at Ft Campbell, Ky used to say, "Let your virtues speak for themselves."

There is a verse in the Bible that says " Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God that in due time you might be exalted."(see 1 Peter 5:6). If you do something good realize your talents were given to you by God and without him you are nothing. Don't get too big for your britches, so to speak, or look out. Proverbs 27:2 says, "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth ; A stranger, and not your own lips.' 

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 says "To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassing great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

It would be pretty tough, humanly speaking, to be a famous person and have everyone fawning all over you saying how wonderful you were. It could easily go to your head. National leaders, who are supposed to be servants of the people, can become tainted and arrogant under the hypnotic effects of power. People who the world think as having an 'important lofty position" could easily slip into the mode of thinking,"hey I am pretty great. Look where I am". I think of the song "New York New York" where it goes "If I can make it there I'll make it anywhere.." The words to that song are not exactly humble. Whatever you do in life and whatever you achieve realize if not for God's goodness and grace you would not be where you are. Kings are not more important in God's eyes than the bread baker for instance. The star of the movie could not be the star without the supporting cast and crew.

God is the only one who is to be exalted and praised. Isaiah 57:15 says, " For this is what the high and exalted One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.'

PRAYER: Father it is my desire to stay humble in whatever I do. If people praise me help me remember to give the glory to you. Forgive me for times in my life where I have let my position in life go to my head. Help me stay focused on you and give you all the praise and glory. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment