Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, August 19, 2013

OFFENSE/DEFENSE


Yeah team. Go, fight ,win! No this devotion is not about the start of the football season which for many faithful fans of this sport is one they can hardly wait for. Instead I am referring to the emotions of taking offense or being offended which I could be a spokesperson for. Then there is defense, feeling like you have to constantly defend yourself in front of others or prove your worth or value. Neither one really draws you closer to the Lord.

These two emotions are no fun to experience. To allow another's comment or perception of you to offend you is not what brings the joy of the Lord to your heart. If you are constantly worried what comments people say or feeling, then you are not trusting the Lord and maybe allowing the enemy to get into a weak area and irritate you. If you can not shake this feeling perhaps it is time to get alone with God for a while and study his word on this topic. A "Fast from Wrong Thinking" as Chicago Pastor Gregory Dickow calls it. I find that prayer followed by really praising God and perhaps listening to praise music really helps. At the end of this devotion today I have included a link to a wonderful song of praise.Take a moment and listen to it.


2 Corinthians 12:10(ESV) says 'For the sake of Christ then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities, for when I am weak then I am string.' Your worth and value does not come from humans but from God. Taking offense is one thing Satan loves to torment the believer with. If you deal with being offended just remember what Romans 8:1(ESV) says. 'There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.'
In life you may continue to receive little "tests" in order to grow in Christ. You can identify what your weak area is and then need these little "tests" in order to try to overcome your weakness and thus grow more Christlike. Do you want to keep being "tested"? I think it was my sister Judy who told me that we keep going through the same things till we learn. I know that is true.


If you feel the emotions of offense or defense coming on and you know in your heart that you do not want to have them then cry out to God. When you are offended you can risk an otherwise healthy relationship due to misunderstanding.
The thing to do is to seek Christ and His face continually. When you dwell on what bothers you then you can get more and more offended and defend yourself even more. None of us are perfect. We seek to be Christlike in what we say and do. Being offended and defending yourself is of the flesh and not of the kingdom of God. We need to recognize that.

Romans 7:18(ESV) is a good place to conclude. It says 'for I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is in my flesh, for I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.' Aren't you glad Jesus can take those things and help you be a brand new person as you seek His face daily?

PRAYER: My hope is in you Lord and you alone. At times my human nature kicks in and then I have to stay close to you even more. Thank you for forgiving me when I mess up. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Click link to hear a wonderful song to start your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment