Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, August 5, 2013

THE BIBLE IS FUNDAMENTAL

We have probably all heard the saying "Reading is Fundamental" which indeed it truly is. Without reading and knowing how to read you can not do too much else in life. The A B C's and teaching children to read from a very young age is critical to good child development.

This idea for this devotion came to me as I sat in the parking lot of the library at Redstone Arsenal. I observed parents and children there for the annual summer reading program. That is a fond memory of mine from childhood and we made certain our sons participated in things like that as well, or just did them at home with me.

Even more crucial is reading the Bible. If you are a parent reading this devotion today with babies or toddlers why not start from a very young age reading to them and read them Bible stories and the actual word of God? If you go to a baby shower why not tuck in a little book for babies and children from your local Christian bookstore? I even had a teddy bear that played the tune  "Jesus Loves Me". Take the opportunity to hide the word of God in the hearts of not only yourself but the younger generation.

2 Timothy 3:15(NIV) says 'And how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.' There is not some "new parent" rule book that says that you only have to read nursery rhymes and things like that to them. I remember this one book we had about Noah's Ark I read to our two sons a great deal and it ended with "I'll never bring a flood again to cause all flesh to die and the symbol of my vow will be a rainbow in the sky." I am not sure if they still remember it, but I sure do!

What is more important? Storing nursery rhymes in your head or storing up God's word in your head. When little ones are in the church nursery what a great opportunity it would be to have the workers reading Bible stories to them. I know there are some that do.

Psalm 119:11(NIV) says 'I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.'
Start today and everyday and make sure the Bible is fundamental in your life and the life of your family. In Jesus' name. Amen.

PRAYER: Father in heaven I thank you for your word which is fundamental to good spiritual health. Every day put the desire within me to read it. In Jesus' name. Amen. 

Note: Sorry for lateness of today's post but I am in Arizona and this is first chance I had today with Wi Fi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment