Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

LIONS, TAINTED LETTUCE, TSUNAMI'S, OH MY!



Being afraid of disasters and what "could happen" is probably pretty common with some people. Like in the classic movie "The Wizard of Oz" the late actress Judy Garland who played the main character Dorothy who was on her way to Emerald City going through a scary forest. She chanted "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" as a way to possibly take care of her fears. I have to admit when I was a child it was those flying monkeys that scared me.
Turn on your nightly news and no doubt you are inundated with news of murders, wars, rapes, floods, fires, recalled food, failing schools, sex scandals, financial ruin, drought, riots, and on and on the list goes. If a person feeds their mind with nothing besides bad news all the time then what do you suppose they will do? Probably worry and speculate when something is going to happen to them. Certainly they will have a difficult time having peace.


Then there is Hollywood, bless their sweet little hearts. When I was growing up all the television shows were mostly happy and family friendly. Bonanza, My Three Sons, Lassie, Lawrence Welk, The Ed Sullivan Show, No Time For Sergeants, The Lucy Show, Andy Griffith, Gun Smoke, Batman, Donna Reed, Flipper, Mickey Mouse Club, Leave it to Beaver, and The Monkees to name but a few of the choices on only three channels. Many of you reading have no idea what on earth I am talking about. I am talking about decent, wholesome television that taught values and didn't create fear. The movies were basically the same. The slippery slope we have gone down since the 60's continues. Today we have crime dramas, implied sex on television, alternative families, murders, lawyer shows, reality shows and on it goes. Most likely the best viewing will be not the mainstream channels with a very few exceptions.
What do we as a Christian do? We do not act holier than thou, but we really need to ask ourselves if what we are about to watch is suitable if Jesus were your guest. No one needs to have a steady diet of profanity and violence in their heads. The infamous F word has become like slang and some are not even phased by its' use.Even government officials have been caught on open mikes using it.


Do we purposely and intentionally go to things that scare us or do we practice discernment? Some say "It is only a movie". So what do we do?

Let me give you a few verses to ponder. The first is Romans 12:2(NIV) which says 'Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what is God's will-his good, pleasing, and perfect will.' Next is a verse found in Psalm 101:3(NIV) 'I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate, they will not cling to me.' Finally Isaiah 41:10(NIV) says 'So do not fear, for I am with you.Do not be dismayed for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.'

We are to be in this world but need to be different in our choices of things based on our walk with the Lord. The whole point is that it is the enemy who wants you fearful of things in your every day life. It is Jesus who brings peace. Turn off the bad news and fearful things around you and turn on to God instead.

PRAYER: Lord forgive me when I have intentionally gone to a movie knowing it was not going to be good for me to see. Convict me Lord when there are things around me that seem popular and I may want to fit in but these things I know deep down in my heart are not right. I want to be your witness and therefore keep me on the right path. In Jesus' name.Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment