Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"SELF" MONSTER


Selfish, self centered, self absorbed? Those are some of the monstrous
members of the "self family". What each of us needs to learn is how
to take "self" off the throne and learn to put others first. Children
may be born into this world and can be extremely self centered as they
know no better. But as we mature we are to learn it is not all about
me. Also we need to learn "self" control in many areas of life so we
can control bad habits that can hurt us and others. In order to tame
this "self monster" you have to "die to self".

The world we live in encourages us to be self absorbed with things
like looking out for number one and things like Facebook which if not
used properly can almost become narcissistic in a sense. This world
tends to get your focus off other people and onto you with different
advertising gimmicks. If not careful it is every easy to fall into
the trap of self importance and "me first." There is a shampoo
commercial that ends by saying "and I'm worth it." That always smacks
of a little ego there. Now I am not saying to hate yourself but to
consciously be thinking of helping others and not just yourself.

Proverbs 27:2 (NIV) is an excellent verse to commit to memory. It says
'Let another praise you and not your own mouth. An outsider and not
your own lips.' It is necessary to constantly be on your guard to
stay humble particularly if you do something the "world" looks up to
or have a "gift" that is special. James 4:10(NIV) says 'Humble
yourselves before the Lord and he will lift you up.'

One cure for taking yourself off the throne of "self" is to practice
putting others before yourself. The acronym J.O.Y. simply means "Jesus
First, Others Second, Yourself Last.' John 3:30(NIV) is another great
verse which says 'He must increase and I must decrease.' Think of ways
you can put others before yourself. I encourage you to stop a moment
and ponder building up and encouraging others around you and not be
thinking of what you want for a change.

In 1 Corinthians15:51(NASB) it says 'I affirm brethren, by the
boasting in you by which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die
daily.' This simply means make an effort each and every day you get up
to put Christ first before your own selfish desires and think of ways
to get self out of the way and put others needs before your own.

Get rid of that old self centered nature and replace it with a God
nature of thinking of serving those close to you and even strangers.
Galatians 5:16(NIV) is a reminder and it says 'May I never boast
except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.'

Where are you today? Do you have any work to do in this area of
"self". Call unto God with a humble heart and He will help you.

PRAYER: This is your day Lord. I thank you for giving me another day
of life. Forgive me when I complain and am not thankful. I have so
much to praise you for. Help me today to be a blessing in somones
life. In Jesus' name. Amen.
Click on link and enjoy the video clip below:
http://youtu.be/3X7jy3ToFRU

No comments:

Post a Comment