Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

ME FIRST!!

 
The Bible talks about dying to self(1 Corinthians 15:31) and putting others before yourself but how many people really do that and what does that mean? Not just giving up the last roll in the basket when there is only one left but much more. Romans 12:10 says to "be devoted to one another in love and honor one another above yourself."  Let people go first, open doors, don't be greedy. It is not pleasant to be around a person that talks about themselves all the time. Make a deliberate effort to talk about others and get involved in their lives and show interest in them. Being selfless is also thinking of ways to help others or get involved in helping with a need in the lives of those around you.
 
We hear the accounts of  soldiers who save all their buddies around them by throwing their body on a hand grenade. Now that is selfless love."Greater love has no man than a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) Now that act of the soldier on the battlefield is truly one of the most unselfish acts I can think of and the ultimate gift. 
 
 The story of Jonathan and David in the Bible is one of selfless love as well. 1 Samuel 18:1-4 says," After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself.  From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return home to his family. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt."
 
Maybe giving up your right to what you want is another example. I know I am a city girl at heart and have never lived on a farm. Oh I love the outdoors and adventure and frequently go out in woods and places to hike. My husbands dream was to own a small farm some day and I was aware of that when I married him. Upon moving from my subdivision in a nearby 'bedroom community' of Huntsville, Alabama I gave up my convenience of being able to just step out my front door and go for a run which I regularly did or to be at Starbucks in 5 minutes and other things. This was so he could have a life long dream of farming. I asked God to help change my attitude and to help me show my unselfishness by agreeing to do this.  You can not always get your own way. In marriage there is much compromise and adjustment and it is truly a place to attempt to practice unselfishness.
 
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."(Romans 12:3).Depending on what you do or who you know it might be a little easy to get puffed up at times. But beware. Do not always demand your own way or think you are right. Be willing to help others. Giving of yourself is the best thing you could do. Do not seek to always be number one. James 4:10 says to "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." 
 
Philippians 2:3-4 says" Don't be selfish,don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble,thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't just think about your own affairs, but be interested in others too and in what they are doing."
 
PRAYER: Today Lord help me think of others before I think of myself. Help me find ways to put others first. In Jesus Name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment