Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, January 21, 2011

WATCH THAT MOUTH

How many things could be defused if we just watched what came out of our mouth? Trying to get the last word or defend ourselves can just end up in some sort of verbal brawl. It is best to speak less and listen more. I am preaching to myself here on this one. Problems with the mouth is one of my key battle grounds. Maybe none of you have this problem but it is apparently pretty evident some do as the Bible has many references to what we say and being careful what we say.

That little tongue can get us into a heck of a lot of trouble if we do not think before we speak. Our words should be few and not just randomly spewed out. I have a little card on my refrigerator that has a kitten holding a phone and it says 'Lord help me to talk less and listen more' and is followed by the scripture verse in Psalm 37:7 which says," Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don't worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes." I guess this means that we do not have to be into everything and sort of do what it says, to be still. Do not overreact. Respond to people with grace.

 Sometimes it is difficult to not speak your mind but that does not please God and is not showing one of the fruits of the spirit, that being 'self control'. To be self controlled in the area of speech would be knowing when to speak and knowing when to be quiet. It takes practice. There is a saying in the military, 'loose lips sink ships', meaning if you divulge info to the wrong person you could jeopardize your mission and thus cause your ship to sink. Same is true in life. Too many words can hurt and wound.

Psalm 19:14 says "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight oh Lord my strength and my redeemer." Be willing, as Bible teacher Joyce Meyer often says, to admit you may be wrong. We have an opinion and we think we are right but we may in fact not be, so be willing to humble yourself and  to accept that fact. Above all do not try to convince others of the error of their ways. That is the Holy Spirits' job.

So there you have it. Be still, speak less, listen more, and respond to those around you with the love of Jesus as hard as it may be.

PRAYER: Dear Lord today help the things I say to those around me be kind and loving. If I am challenged in any way help me to not lash back but to respond with Christian love. Help me to not stick my nose where it does not belong and help me to admit when I may be wrong. Lord teach me to close my mouth when what I may say may be hurtful to others. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment