Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, November 7, 2011

JESUS WILL NEVER 'DEFRIEND' YOU

Friends are great!! It is wonderful to have someone trusted to talk to and hang out with. In this new generation of social networking we have entered a new era and new type of friend. There are people who you 'friend' on the social networking site but then do not really ever hang out with.  

Proverbs 18:24 says "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 17:17 says "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity". Ecclesiastes  4:9-10 says "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up."

Then there are true blue friends who are there whenever you need them. These are not just facebook friends but a friend that sticks closer than a brother. This past week on my birthday paper cards in the regular US mail came pouring in. It was so special to me to be remembered in this way and I thought to myself I have nothing to complain about because I have friends who like me or in the words of actress Sally Field during her second best actress win in the Academy Awards "You like me, you like me, you really really like me." Friends are great. These remembrances made my day and my week! I felt blessed indeed. These were from friends both near and far.

Sometimes people you thought were friends decide they no longer want to hang out with you. They may tell you to read "Boundaries' or say you were a friend in that 'season' of life. They may go on to say they are too busy now and do not  have time for you as they have 'new friends' and do not have time for everyone. I say 'make new friends but keep the old, one is silver but the other gold."

It made me think of Facebook and how we rack up all these names as 'friends' but are they really our friends? For anyone who has ever been defriended or unfriended on this social medium it is very puzzling and hurtful. Facebook should not be taken that seriously. It is nice to post pictures and keep in touch but to be a real friend if you live in the same town you need to invest time in your friends. In a similar way you will never truly get to 'know God' if you do not invest time in reading the Bible and doing things to bring you closer to Him. And I have good news! God will never ever defriend you no matter what!! He does not care what you have done. He loves you unconditionally. Oh that we humans could take his example as we are supposed to and treat our friends and those around us the same way. Wouldn't this be a much better place?

For those of you reading this who are married, your spouse is ideally supposed to be your best friend but sad to say in some marriages the spouses have become almost enemies. God can help restore this 'ultimate friendship' if you ask him too.

What kind of friend are you? Is there someone you need to say you are sorry to because you have hurt them? Is there a friend who wants nothing to do with you anymore who you just have to release to God? Are you making time in your week to get together with a friend? If married, are you still going on dates with your spouse like you did back in your dating single engaged days?

True friends will stand by you. A true friend will accept your apology. A true friend listens. A true friend forgives and forgets. A true friend loves unconditionally.A true friend does not judge you. Is there someone you need to be a friend to today?

On birthdays we seem to find out who our friends are. It is really nice to be remembered. Just remember to show God's love to the friends  you are blessed with and remember also 'a friend in need is a friend indeed'. Do not wait til a birthday to tell those friends you care.

PRAYER: Lord I thank you for the gift of friendship. Lord help me to remember to sow seeds of kindness in to the lives of others in order to grow friendships. Forgive me if I have ever hurt a friend. Forgive me when I was not there for a friend who needed me. Help me be a true friend to those in my life. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Note: once again I have included a link to a wonderful and appropriate worship song. Turn up speakers, click link, and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnMN08sv4k&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment