Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

HIDDEN TREASURE


I am not sure where I first heard this story but there was a tale of an old woman who had died and left a family member an old Bible in her will. This made the person receiving it very angry as the woman had great wealth and all they got was this silly Bible. Unknown to this person receiving the Bible, because they failed to look inside and read it, was that tucked inside was the 'earthly treasure' of a check of a huge sum of money  hidden within its' pages not to be found until the real treasure was uncovered in God's word. This reminded me of the movie "The Ultimate Gift" http://www.theultimategift.com/ about a young man who found the 'real treasure' in life was not monetary.

Matthew 6:21 says "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." The real treasure is not in earthly things that rot and decay and rust but it is in an imperishable everlasting gift. Money will not satisfy. Lots of folks say "it sure is kind of nice to have though" but many times it brings false happiness too. Things will not bring happiness. We in America are extremely blessed and even the poorest person here is wealthy in the eyes of the world.

Money in itself is not bad and as Jimmy Stewart's character ,George Bailey said to Clarence Oddbody the Guardian Angel in 'It's A Wonderful Life', "Y-You don't happen to have eight thousand bucks on you?"  Clarence replied "Oh, no, no. We don't use money in heaven." George responds "Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting.Comes in pretty handy down here, bub."  In this movie 'Bailey Building and Loan' had a short fall of $8,000 after his Uncle Billy lost a deposit he was going to make.The evil rival banker in town, Mr. Potter, took advantage of the situation and threatened to have Stewarts' character arrested. George Bailey decided he would be worth more dead than alive due to a life insurance policy that could be cashed in so decided to commit suicide. That is when Clarence the Angel Second Class appeared to save George and let him see how silly it was to kill himself over money. Consequently he showed George what a 'wonderful life' he did have and in turn earned his wings.

Money can put pressure on people. In 1 Timothy 6:10 it says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." So yes we need it to pay bills but we are not to get in a habit of consuming our lives to be wealthy. God is the one who blesses anyway.  In verse 17 of this same chapter it goes on to say "Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment."
Do you focus too much on money and making it big in the world? God is going to take care of you. If you have been blessed then do the right thing and help bless others too. Do not be selfish with your blessings. Luke 12:18-21 talking to the rich fool says "And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’  So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."

So where your treasure is there is your heart. What is your priority in life?  Make sure you remember who it is who gave you the power to gain wealth and give Him the glory due His name. Just remember what Philippians 4:19 says "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

PRAYER: Father God I thank you for the many blessings I enjoy. I thank you for having a roof over my head. Forgive me when I have been ungrateful and compared myself to others and wanted more. I thank you Lord for the blessing of just being alive and healthy. I thank you for family and friends. I thank you that you meet my needs. Help me share what I have if I see someone in need. IN Jesus Name, Amen.


HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Read Psalm 49

No comments:

Post a Comment