Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, September 14, 2012

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

A few days ago on WAY FM Christian radio the morning DJ's were discussing the Third  World nations and mission trips. They had said how once you go to a Third World nation on a mission trip your life is changed by what you saw and you become more grateful for what you have in your life. They referred to our minor problems as 'First World Problems'. I got to thinking about that and even though I have never been on a mission trip I am indeed grateful for many things. I am sure if I ever am blessed to get to go on one I will be even more appreciative of my blessings.

Later after I heard them discussing this I was at my local car dealer getting my car serviced when a gentleman in the waiting room struck up a conversation with me. A commercial came on TV for a Stryker knee and I nonchalantly made a comment I was glad I did not have a fake knee. He said "I have a fake leg" and proceeded to pull up his pant leg displaying a prosthesis decorated with Alabama memorabilia. It was then I felt very 'little' and ashamed of my comment. I apologized. He said not to worry. This got us in to talking about being grateful. It is funny how the Lord opens doors to chat with strangers.

 Do you ever stop and think of the many things you have to be thankful for? Even a poor person in the United States would be extremely blessed if compared to a resident of a Third World nation. Most of us have a place to sleep at night. Nearly all of us can have access to medical care. We are blessed with clean running water and flush toilets. Most Americans not living where there are subways own a car or truck or perhaps a motorcycle or bicycle. But even if we have no transportation we have shoes on our feet so we can walk places without damaging our feet.  There is food to eat and we do not have flies landing on us or any open sores to get infected by disease. We are blessed to have vaccines to help prevent life threatening illnesses. I could go on but you get the point.

 What are you thankful for today? Your friends, your family, a job, good health? Psalm 107:1 reminds us to "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good His love endures forever." Will it take a visit to a poverty disease ridden Third World country to make you sing  out your praises to God? In the big scheme of things our minor inconveniences and complaints are nothing compared to what the individuals in far off lands go through on a regular basis. Our creature comforts are something they could not even imagine.

Start today waking up grateful for a mattress you slept on, a roof over your head, a car to take you places, a shower, money for gasoline, food to eat,friends to hang out with, employment, a family, clean water to drink and so much more. God is good!! Could you or would you still bless Him without all these things?  Philippians 4:11 says " I have learned whatever state I am into be content." 1 Timothy 6:8 says "But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that."

 We all probably know the story of Job and how he literally lost everything then later it was restored. Job 1:21 says "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart .The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

PRAYER: I am indeed grateful for each day of life and good health and each blessing in my life. Forgive me when I have complained about where I live, the food I have to eat, the traffic jams, the lines at a store or bank and so much more. In the big scheme of things life is pretty good. For that Lord I give you thanks and praise. In Jesus name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment