Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, December 3, 2012

LOOK AHEAD, NOT BACK


 The idea for this title came to me while driving about 5 p.m. one weekday. I realized just how important it was to not look behind me but to keep my eyes focused on the traffic particularly in the high traffic times of the start and end of the work day. If you live in a major city you have true rush hour but here where I am we have lots of cars on the road but nothing like a huge city rush hour. It is important when you drive in lots of heavy traffic that you keep plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you and pay attention always looking ahead down the road for hazards. If you start being distracted by your rear view mirror the traffic could, in fact, suddenly stop and you will more than likely crash into the vehicle ahead of you.

In life too, we need to look ahead and not behind. The past is gone and can not be resurrected. You can learn from the mistakes you have made and confess sins you may have committed, but after that you are to move on and let it go and focus on the here and now and the future. Constantly clinging to the past is not going to bring it back. It is gone, period!

Let's say you can not forget some sin you committed in your life even though you confessed it and God forgave you but Satan keeps trying to torment you with it. Talk out loud to Satan and say 'Satan I will not believe your lies. God has redeemed me and set me free to lead a life pleasing to Him so in the name of Jesus be gone' then move on. After all there is a verse in Psalm 103:12(NIV) that reminds me 'as far as the East is from the West so far has He removed our transgressions from us.'
You might recall the story about Lot's wife in Genesis 19:18-26 where the family was fleeing the evils of the city of Sodom before God destroyed it. God had commanded them to not look back. Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt. Not listening to and obeying God then sure had dire consequences. It is tempting to maybe turn around but forget it and keep looking ahead. Charge on!

The Army used to sing a Jody call for marching in formation and maybe it is still used and it went something like this: 'Ain't no use in looking down, there's no discharge on the ground. One two three four, one two give me some more.' Looking down and looking back indicate perhaps a lack of peace about the future or wanting to stay way you are.

Can you look straight ahead and keep your eye on the prize, that being living a life pleasing to the Lord Jesus Christ and throwing off the weights of sin along the way that cling to you and try to drag you down? Keep your eyes on the future. God has good things in store!

Philippians 3:14(NIV) says 'I press on toward the goal, to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Jesus Christ.'

PRAYER: I thank you so much that in Christ I have a future and a hope. I need not cling to the past and worry over things that can not be changed. Help me Lord as I press on for the prize of eternal life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment