Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, December 17, 2012

ENOUGH SAID!!



Taking a break from my Christmas theme and revisiting the problem with our mouths. Have you ever heard the saying 'Leave well enough alone'? How true that is! When it comes to the mouth, sometimes the less said the better. If you are the kind of person who has to get the last word in then you may be headed for disaster in the "mouth" department. Being impulsive and not thinking about what we are saying can be a real problem. Sometimes it is best to just not say anything than to say something and be misunderstood or to cause friction and hurt feelings.
This is where self control comes in. Oh, to master self control in all areas of life. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Sometimes we may randomly just talk without thinking how what we say will be received by someone. Now I am not saying it is necessary to analyze everything we say before we say it, but in order to not hurt feelings or cause misunderstandings, particularly among friends, family and co workers, make an effort to pause before you speak and really think if what you are about to say is necessary. Something randomly pops out of your mouth and you wish you could take it back so very much. Have you been there? I know I have.
There are many areas to discuss about the words we say but for the purpose of this devotion I will deal strictly with trying to have self control and be able to be careful of what we say. It is a challenge. Even in James 3:8(NIV) it says 'No man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil full of deadly poison.' Now that is quite a word picture. Sometimes though we may say something and another person misunderstands our intent and then that is where forgiveness comes into play and second chances.
Are you able to master watching what you say and when you say it? Our mouths can make us or break us. Matthew 12:37(NIV) says 'and by your words you will be acquitted and by your words you will be condemned.' I myself pray almost daily for help in this area. It is so easy to just talk without thinking. I want my tongue to bless others and not hurt them. I want my words to be kind and sweet and not misunderstood. I want my words to bring joy and not condemnation or guilt. I want my words to be full of peace and love and not anger. I want my words to convey Christ living in me.

Start today and if you need help in this area of impulsive speaking and not having self control ask the Lord to guide you and strengthen you. He cares and he hears your prayers. Proverbs 18:21(NIV) says 'The tongue has the power of life and death and those that love it will eat its' fruit.' 1 Peter 3:10(NIV) which says 'Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.'
'May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.' Psalm 19:14(NIV).

PRAYER: Father help me as daily I seek to be a vessel used by you for your glory. I seek to portray Christ to my friends, my family, those in my circle of influence and even strangers. Help me Lord put a watch over my mouth so I do not hurt anyone by saying the wrong thing. I want to shine for you and not be a hindrance. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment