Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Evil Around Us


Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21
Sixteen years ago today the unthinkable happened. Thirteen innocent high school students were shot to death at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado by two other students who later took their own lives. At the time, shootings like this were pretty rare, especially one of this magnitude in a very nice suburb of Denver, Colorado. At the time I lived in a Phoenix suburb and when I heard the news had just dropped off my older son to his high school after having lunch together.  Later, come to find out that one of the thirteen dead had a mom who was in the same prayer ministry I was in, there in Mesa, Arizona entitled Moms in Touch(Moms in Prayer now). 
The typical thing you hear during tragedy is why did God let this happen especially to the son of a praying mom.  I have no answers and I am sure this boys' mom also had no answers. Bad things do happen and sometimes to good people. But God can turn tragedy into triumph.  Prayers always go up to make something good out of this horrible mess. 

The thing is, in life there are bad things and good things. Good and evil. This act by these two young high school students was the height of evil. What caused them to go beserk and commit these atrocious acts. We can only lift those families up in prayer who probably relive this every April 20th. Do not get bitter but get better and if tragedy comes your way unexpectedly pray for God to give you the ability to press on. 

PRAYER: Thanks for each day of life you have given to me. Help me to comfort those who weep and stand firm when faced with the unexpected myself. Help me release any bitterness to those who do evil. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment