Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

ZIP THAT LIP

 
Jesus suffered the ultimate torture and betrayal yet his only words were "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." (See Luke 23:34).In Isaiah 53:7 it says "He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth." How many of us could say the same? It is hard to not get the last word or make our point or try to fight back.The best response is no response at all. Human nature wants to get back at someone who has offended or hurt you but 'God's nature' is to 'let it go' and pray for the person. When you are accused wrongly or otherwise,your flesh wants to lash back and defend yourself. God is your defender. Psalm 59:17 says "To you oh my strength I will sing, for God is my defense and the God of my mercy." Give it to him. Matthew 5:44 says to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." It is only with the Holy Spirits' help that this can be done.
 
"The power of life and death is in the tongue." (Proverbs 18:21). Uttering a word in haste or without thinking can end you up in much trouble too. James 1:19 is a excellent verse for all people but especially those that are married. I am surprised it is not read at  marriage ceremonies. It says " This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger."  Giving something over to God is easier than continuing to fester.  Satan loves conflict and he is the author of it so when you offend with your words you only bring glory to the enemy and hurt a person. Proverbs 17:27 says "He who restrains his words has knowledge, And he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding."
 
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver." (Proverbs 25:11). Let your mouth be under God's control. Use it for blessing, encouraging,kindness, promoting, praising, and thanking and not cussing, ridiculing, gossip, lying, or belittling. Zip that lip and learn the discipline of knowing when to speak and what to say .
 
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)
 
 
PRAYER: Dear Lord my mouth can get me into trouble if I speak before I think. Oh Lord I want to use my mouth to bless others and not cause trouble. Help me know when to speak and what to say and give me the ability to keep my mouth closed when it is not appropriate to add my 'two cents'. Give me wisdom and discernment so I do not have to dig myself out of a hole because of a careless word. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment