Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, December 29, 2023

Honoring Your Parents

 

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you” Exodus 20:12, NIV
When you marry scripture says to ‘Leave and cleave‘ and a successful marriage requires that. It does not mean to forget your parents but to remember your allegiance is to your spouse.
Nowadays nursing homes or assisted living seem to be the way busy children take care of mom and dad in their later years of life. Not everyone does this but it seems to be almost a given that adult children don’t really want bothered with mom and dad so why not find ‘a place for mom’ as the TV commercial says. There are exceptions to situations such as when an elderly parent won’t move and the child can’t move there. This example not good for grandchildren.
“Well what if my parents were jerks and abused me then what?” Matthew 5:44 says “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”. As you begin a new year making resolutions why not resolve if your parents are still alive to do something special for them.
PRAYER: I loved my mom and dad and I love my children and my grandchildren. I pray for those I know or don’t know with strained relationships whose heart aches almost daily. Give them peace. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment