Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

WHAT IS A FRIEND?

Today I am working on my Moms in Touch lessons for November and one attribute of God I plan to highlight one week is about friendship. What does it mean to be a friend? I have been hurt in friendships before and it is painful to be betrayed or shunned and "put on the shelf" by someone who used to want to hang out with you. But we can not hold grudges and let bitterness grow in our hearts for that is what the enemy (Satan) wants us to do. Satan does not want us to attempt to even forgive someone even when they never asked to be forgiven. The Bible says that you can't love God whom you don't see without loving your brother who you can see. (1 John 4:20.) God's friendship is unconditional. He doesn't care if we have money, prestige, if we talk fast or slow, if we can do anything for him, or if we made a misstake. He is there no matter what. He does not hold grudges or blame us for something. He forgets and forgives and never harbors resentment. He does not hold something against you or remember a wrong. Wow those are some pretty big shoes to fill but we are to strive to be Christlike in all things if we claim to be his follower. Instead he is there to love you ,support you, encourage you, lift you up, listen to you, hang out with you and wants to be with you ALL THE TIME.

God says even though a man may hate you you are still to love him. That is a supernatural love only God can give. Often times the person may not want anything to do with you at all. You do not understand it and nagging separates the best of friends so you have to give it to God and let it go. Matthew 5:44 "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." This is only something you can do through Christ power. I remember thinking a couple years ago I had no 'enemies' and would gladly quote this scripture to my husband when we were dealing with a mean neighbor who was always causing trouble but it never had applied to me til about 4 years ago then I had something occur and since have had 3 other things occur where I had to put this into practice. So then it hit home so to speak and I could truly cherish my 'true' friends and see just how important friends were in my life. So value those dear friends and seek to grow and reach out to others. In order to be a friend you have to show yourself friendly.

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother".(Proverbs 18:24) "A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends."(Proverbs 16:28)

PRAYER: Lord God today I ask that you heal anyones heart that has been hurt by a betrayal of a friend. I ask you to bring friends to the lonely and downcast. Help us look around to see someone who looks like they could use a smile. Use us to bring your love and joy to others. In Jesus Name. Amen.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnMN08sv4k

No comments:

Post a Comment