Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

FACEBOOK VS. THE BOOK

There is a church about 10 miles from me that has a sign out front that says "Spend Less Time on Facebook and More Time in His Book." Now that is something to ponder. Church signs have a way of doing that. They bring to light something we need to perhaps think about.

 I am on Facebook and it is a good tool for spreading the word about something or in my case posting my devotions for people to read. If not managed properly though it can consume your life and become an addiction. I always liken it to 'People Magazine' for 'normal people' or in other words we look into each others lives as if we were celebrities. As the saying goes, "welcome to the way people communicate in 2011'. The thing that gets me is the friending people, some of whom we would probably not even go sit and have coffee with, then there is defriending people. What an awful new word, 'defriend'. Ouch. It stings to be defriended or blocked by someone. There in a nutshell is one not so good thing about this social medium.

We can spend lots of time on things that really do not matter that much and not enough on things that do. Facebook is a fun way to stay connected with friends from the past who have moved on. But is it really important enough to sit and stare at it for hours? For students it can waste precious study time. For business people at work it could get you fired if you were looking at it and not doing your work. For young moms at home it could take away valuable one on one time you have with the children God blessed you with. Sad to say I have even heard of extreme cases of facebook breaking up relationships. So you see it can be a tool for good to stay connected or a tool that cause addictions and wasted time.

So back to the church marquee. How much time do you spend reading God's word each week? "Oh it is so boring and has nothing relevant for today" you may say. "I do not understand it" is another good excuse. "I do not enjoy it" is one I have heard. "Where do I start and what do I read about?' "I can not get through all the thees and thous". "I feel like some of it is not really true" or " I do not believe it all". "I just wait and listen to the preacher or priest give me what I need."

The Bible does have much to say to address every situation you can possibly encounter. If you are confused about it and do not know where to start I often have said to start by reading the book of John in the New Testament or a Psalm a day since there are 150 chapters to Psalms that should keep you busy. You can get a good Bible with a subject index in the back and look up specific topics. One version of the Bible I recommend is the Life Application Bible. (http://www.lifeapplicationbible.com/)

Hebrews 13:8 says "Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever." Revelation 22:18 says " I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy in this book: If anyone adds anything to this, God will strike him with the plagues that are written in this book." The Bible can come alive for you and be exciting. Get in the habit of wanting to read it daily for guidance and just as a way to start off the day.

Matthew 5:6 says" Blessed is the man who hungers and thirsts after righteousness for he shall be filled." Are you hungry for God and the Bible? I heard someone once say the Bible in acronym form could mean B.I.B.L.E. or "basic instruction before leaving earth'. Wow now that says it all and is pretty easy to understand. So where are you at? Do you desire to know more about God? 2 Timothy 2:15 says "Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Psalm 119:11 says "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Get to know God and get into his word. It can be an exciting journey!

PRAYER: Dear Lord I ask you to help those people who struggle with reading your word or who find it boring or only partially true. We know the enemy comes in and plants lies and wants us to let our Bible get dusty. Help us have the desire to know you more Lord through your word. Be with those who doubt your word and open their mind totally to your truth. Help those searching find a Bible study to be part of or a good Bible believing church to attend. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment