Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, August 8, 2011

STICKS AND STONES DO BREAK BONES

Words are powerful weapons. There is a saying that 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me." I beg to differ. Words can cut through the spirit and soul and cause deep hurt, pain and misunderstanding. Make no mistake about it, ugly words hurt people, crush spirits, offend  and cause friendships and relationships to break up. That powerful little tongue can wreak havoc if  not gotten under control. I do write a good deal on the power of words because  it is so important how we choose our words.

Proverbs 12:18 says "The words of the reckless pierce like swords,  but the tongue of the wise brings healing." I wonder how many marriages could have been saved had there not been harsh words carelessly spoken? Why does that happen? There is no excuse for being cruel and mean spirited especially if you are a Christian. Proverbs 13:3 says "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin." If you are reading this and you deal with someone who speaks harshly pray for God to convict them of it and in the meantime do not be ugly back. Young men out there who are newlywed husbands treat your wife like a princess and a guest of honor at all times and your life together will be excellent. Think of ways to always praise her and make her feel special. Say one nice thing to her daily. Make it  a habit. Proverbs 18:21 says "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words." Women, you too find a kind word to pass on to the one you love in your life.

Do not use your tongue to gossip, belittle, scream, lie, and curse but use it to bless and encourage  people. If you know you have slipped up and become angry with  your words stop what you are doing and apologize and make things right then and there. Ephesians 4:29 says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

So yes indeed sticks and stones do hurt people and so does idle speech which flows from the mouth. Be careful little tongue what you say! Now go have a good day, make it a good one, and watch what you say.

PRAYER: Lord I want my speech to be pure and holy and I always want what I say to bring glory to you. Help me to treat those around me, especially my family, with love and respect. Let my words be kind and not harsh and hurtful. Convict me if I have done something I need to ask forgiveness for. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment