Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, March 18, 2011

I'M SCARED

If you dwell on the news too long you can become entirely indwelt with a spirit of fear for everything that is going on in the world. It seems there is never any good news. A television network needs to be created that will only report happy things. Why do people get excited hearing about awful stuff and then dwell on it and get scared and paralyzed with fear? Take the latest thing with the disastrous earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant disaster in Japan.

The news is making people scared in the United States that maybe we should be worried about radiation. First it was the fear that California was going to be washed away by huge ocean waves. But if it is not that news story it is something else. Daily we are bombarded by fear. If a plane crash occurs then perhaps we should not fly. If a building falls down perhaps we should never go in the top floor of a skyscraper or ride on an elevator. A roller coaster jumps the track at an amusement park so I guess maybe my love of coasters needs to stop since that could happen to me.

Now some fears may be normal when you are talking about wanting to jump from an airplane, which in fact I am pondering and have pondered since 1978. I mean you jump from a plane at thousands of feet, what if your parachute does not open? But the point is you can not live your life paralyzed and incapacitated by the fear of the unknown or what ifs.  Your life would be lived in a bubble if you worried that something bad was going to happen all the time. You may as well get in a secluded sound proof room and just sit in there for the rest of your life. Keep the TV off as if  you watch it then more fear will be put out over the nightly news.

I am copying the entire Psalm 91 for you to read and meditate upon in your quiet time. Do not sit around and worry and fret and think the sky is always falling. God is in control and he will take care of you. This is not to say nothing bad ever will  happen cause it will and it does. But God does not want us fixated on the horrible tragedies of life. He wants you to live your life free from fear. Perhaps a good thing to do would be to not watch the news and take a 'fear break'.

Psalm 91:1-16 reads as follows " Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”  Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.  You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.  If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling,no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the cobra;  you will trample the great lion and the serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him  and show him my salvation.”

PRAYER: Lord calm my heart. Day after day we are bombarded by terror in our world. It is enough to make us crazy if we dwell on it. Help me Lord know you are watching over me  and help me to lean on you and trust you. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment