Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, January 6, 2017

Imaginary Friends But Real Problems


Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Children and teens are growing up today in a unique world unknown to their parents. The world is social media, selfies, likes, follows, tweets, snapchat and more. As one of my sons' reminds me, this is not real but sadly for many they count on those likes, comments, and follows or they become sad and depressed. Teens are super connected to being connected but not face to face. A dangerous path to take.
Here is the thing. How do you communicate to your child,grandchild, niece, or nephew that this social media world is not realistic? Also why do we feel compelled to want everyone to 'like' everything? Don't get me wrong, I have been guilty of it but I feel it is a particular issue when it comes to the generations who have grown up not knowing anything but this kind of existence. 
There used to be a saying with the Bell Telephone 'back in the day' that said "Reach Out And Touch Someone" referring to picking up the phone and calling someone. What we really need to encourage in the younger generation is really doing just that! Get out, connect with the world in a real way not just through social media. Make an effort as you start 2017 to purpose to be more connected in a 'real' way in the coming year and help those younger people whose lives you influence to do just the same. Many people really do need to have a hug, a touch, a connection. 
PRAYER: Forgive me Lord for being a stranger to my neighbors or those in my social media world that I really do not truly connect to. Help me Lord to get beyond my mobile device and be real in the world. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Becky: I have felt the need to pray for my neighborhood. We have lived here a bit over 41 years. A neighbor man is having major health issues.He is the one who has lived on this section of our street the longest. He has been staying with his daughter and son-in-law. If he should decide to sell his home, that means we will become the longest residing people in the neighborhood. Besides him and us, I know of only three other houses who are owner occupied. But then, I don't know that for sure. God has to heal me with what I could feel.

    ReplyDelete