Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Are You Still Sucking Your Thumb?



Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation. 1 Peter 2:2

Do you ever see a toddler still sucking their thumb or even a young elementary school child? This habit started as an infant and was allowed to continue until, the child is growing up still sticking his or her thumb in their mouth for security. Unless this gets under control the child remains a child in many ways.

Many adults who are Christians may be still 'sticking their spiritual thumbs' in their mouths. In other words maybe you know the "now I lay me down to sleep prayer", hear Psalm 23 routinely read at funerals, know John 3:16 but that is about the extent of it. To grow up in Christ and become mature and not keep sucking your thumb you have to dig deeper and go beyond the basics. It is not the rabbi, priest, or pastors job to spoon feed you but when you leave church you have to do your part to get off the pacifier.

First make sure you have asked Jesus to be Lord and savior. When I became born again in 1975 I craved reading the word. It became my life blood so to speak. Prior to this I had gone to church and done all the right things but was not excited about Jesus. So how about it? Time to mature in Christ? Start reading the book of John in New Testament and see how your life changes. 

PRAYER: I choose to go beyond just the basic Bible knowledge of my childhood years. I love your word Lord and I want to feed myself and not need a baby bottle or my thumb anymore. I will not allow Satan to make me complacent about things of the Spirit. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment