Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Carry My Own Cross


Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." Matthew 16:24

Recently when visiting Nashville with my nephew Brian and great niece Rylee we visited The Upper Room ministry near the Vanderbilt University campus. I purchased a wall cross for my nephew and during the course of the day he said "Aunt Becky I can carry my own cross." Bingo, devotion idea,thanks Brian!

The vivid picture we have in scripture of Jesus on his way to be crucified was Him dragging the heavy cross on his back. No complaints just the look of pain on His face. Each of us daily is to bear our cross. We must deny ourselves and our desires and earthly pleasures for the purpose of advancing God's kingdom.

Denying self is a pretty tall order in our self absorbed society. Are we able to forget ourselves, concentrate on God, and look forward to helping others. Sit and ponder that for a while then see what changes need to be made.

PRAYER: Lord God I thank you for opportunities you put right before us at times to deny ourselves and help others. Many do it in their careers such as doctors, nurses, and first responders. Help me Lord look for ways to get myself off my mind and reach out to others. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment