Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

QUIETNESS









A couple weeks ago there was a day when the gym at Redstone Arsenal I go to was unusually quiet and uncrowded. Perhaps furlough Friday affected it, the cloudy skies outside, or  summer vacation. Never the less,it was rather nice for a change. Just the sound of weights clanging and elliptical trainers whirling. Sometimes we just need a break from commotion and noise.

Made me think about how important it is for Christians to have a private quiet time with God to keep their spirits alive and refreshed. A person can not hear from God in the clutter of everyday life and constant talking in the background. You need to try to make an intentional quiet time with the Lord. For those readers who may reside in a city such as New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago it may be  a challenge to find a quiet spot. Sometimes even listening to Christian TV or radio you need to turn them off momentarily and be still and listen to God. Read His manual, The Bible.

"How do I do this" you might ask. My  first suggestion is at home before you leave. If you are single and have roommates that too may be a challenge. If this is a desire of your heart and your passion you will find a way. The prayer ministry Moms In Prayer International (www.momsinprayer.org) has something called a DAWG day or "day alone with God".  I love my DAWG days. My favorite place to go is up on the mountain at Monte Sano State Park in nearby Huntsville. You can really focus outside in God's creation. This DAWG day may not last all day but could even be an hour or two as your schedule permits. 

Psalm 46:10(NIV) is one of my absolute favorite verses. Commit it to memory if you can.
'Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted above the nations. I will be exalted above the earth.' This verse is also a great verse to regain peace if you have lost it through fears and worries.

Mark 1:35(NIV) says 'Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went off to a solitary place where he prayed.'  Young mothers could have a prayer time with their children or when napping get alone to pray and study God's word.

Today is the day to decide if this is important enough to let it become a daily habit.

PRAYER: Lord I thank you for stillness, for peace, and for quiet. I thank you for the Bible. Forgive me Lord when all other activities seem more important than you. In Jesus' name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment