Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, August 10, 2012

WEEDS OF LIFE




As I was running a trail the other day for my daily exercise, I came upon an area that had not been mowed followed by a fence where vines were growing all over it. These vines  were not a flower someone had intentionally planted, but instead were a pesky weed disguised with pretty green leaves to look nice and harmless. If this vine was allowed to grow it would choke out other things that were intended to be there and even be hard to remove from the fence as it twisted itself around it. Even at my home a similar vine started growing up around the air conditioning unit at the side of our home and as I was removing it before it got worse noted it started to grow into the little switch box next to the unit. Good thing I noticed that when I did so we did not have a real problem on our hands.

Sin can be like those weeds. You take control of it now before it takes control of you. It sometimes comes disguised in nice packages, and similar to the vine. If it is  not 'nipped in the bud', will choke out things around it. Sin is very tricky and deceitful. In Hebrews 11:25 it  mentions there being "pleasure in sin for a season."  Las Vegas proudly calls itself 'sin city' because of all the prostitution and gambling that goes on there no doubt. They have nice things in the city but people are drawn to and enticed by the lure of wealth, gambling, lusting, drinking too much, illicit sex among other things not to mention the flashing lights and glamour.

Sin does not have to come packaged with a street full of neon signs but it is every day things like lying, stealing, cheating, gossiping, judging,lack of forgiveness, coveting, gluttony. People seem to fixate on 'major sins' which supposedly are things like murder, adultery, divorce, homosexuality but the Bible says in Romans 3:23 that "we all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory." God does not have a classification for sins only humans do that with their judging of others.

That day I saw those vines I thought about how some people seem to not want to forgive people. I know of a family where  two siblings have not spoken in several years. The sin of not forgiving is rampant there. Neither one has made a move to restore this relationship. Like the weed on the fence if this attitude continues it will choke their relationship. This makes God sad. He is the God of love, grace, mercy and He wants us to be like Him.

Ask yourself today if you have any weeds of sin choking out something in your life. Let me leave you with this verse from Colossians 3:14 which simply says "And over all these virtues put on love ,which binds them all together in perfect unity."

PRAYER: Lord show me if I have anything in my life not pleasing to you. Each day help me not make excuses why I can not open your word and get strength to live the day ahead. Thank you Lord for loving me even when I messed up. In Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment