Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

FRIENDS MATTER



I often write in a local coffee shop and see folks like myself on their computers. Others are reading the paper or a book. Some people are meeting business associates. Yet others are meeting for job interviews. Then my all time favorite that brings a smile to my face are those there who are friends getting together meeting to chat and catch up! Last week one day as I wrote I saw a young woman outside on her phone who later came inside and gave a hug to an elderly woman perhaps waiting on her. It was so refreshing to see the generations visiting with each other.

As a military member and now a military wife most of my close friends end up being like family. Everywhere we have lived I have had friends who are 'locals' or 'civilians' in addition to my military 'family'.  In a few cases the locals with relatives in the area were not that interested in making a close friendship which I find sad, probably as they were busy with their family in the area.( Now there have been exceptions a few of which are in my prayer group with me now.) The point is friendships are worth the investment of time.

For anyone who has ever been 'shelved' by a formerly close friend it is very puzzling, it hurts and is hard to get through. Even when you try to get back into the persons' life they ignore your attempts or show little interest. The point is if this has happened to you to forgive these people and try to move on. Concentrate on those friends who do want to be in your life. Do not wait for a friend to make the first move. The saying goes, "if you want to be a friend you have to show yourself friendly."

There are always ways to make new friends too. You can volunteer. Perhaps visit a nursing home. Maybe start up a conversation at the gym you go to. In  Bible study make the effort and invite someone to have coffee. There are even meet up groups here in my area where people meet up who share common interests such as hiking, knitting, biking, etc.  

Make an effort to connect with former friends in the area too and drop a note to a friend out of the area. Treat your friend like you would want to be treated. Love like Jesus loves and forgive them for their shortcomings as we all have them Don't hold anger or bitterness in your heart for past failures. If you say you love Jesus then act like it.

The Bible mentions lots about friendships. Proverbs 18:24 says "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother."  Today thank the Lord for the friends in your life, past, present, and future. I am not talking about racking up Facebook friends but true friends you are willing to invest time and energy in. When you go about your day smile at those around you. To some that may be the closest they come to feeling the love of a friend all day. Maybe sit down today and write a letter to a friend you have not seen in a while. Try a real letter with a stamp or better yet pick up the phone.Above all when with your friend put your phone away or turn it off and give your friend your undivided attention. A novel idea in this age where we feel we have to be connected or else the world falls apart.

What can you do today to be a friend?

PRAYER: Lord I love my friends. Each person in my life is there for a reason. Help me show love to friends near and far and forgive those who have hurt me whether they know it or not. In Jesus name. Amen!

Click on link below and be blessed:
http://youtu.be/oOCJAVlESEo







No comments:

Post a Comment