Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

STOP LYING

You may say "I do not lie"  but it was pointed out in a sermon I heard recently that all of us probably lie when asked "how are you" and we flippantly in a robotic manner answer "fine". Are you really fine? If we are not why do we say that? Maybe because we do not want to unload our problems on whoever it is. Sometimes you may be really fine and say "If I were any better I'd be twins". I actually have said that before. That gets a look too, but in the case, when  I said it, I meant it!  I feel like most of us do not want to share what is happening. Wouldn't the person who asked the question be shocked if we replied "well I am glad you asked. My dog died. My toilet is backed up. I have overdue bills I can not pay. I just flunked a class I was taking." There may be times when we say something partially truthful but most the time most folks probably just reply "fine'. It is probably more of a habit and you do not mean to actually lie.

In Proverbs 6:16-19 it elaborates on what the Lord hates and it says "There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers." Get that! He hates a lying tongue, not the liar just the lie!

Lying in general is not a good thing. The Bible says not to do it. Seems many in high up places of Government have lied to us lots. That is between them and God. But what does the Bible say? Why do people think they can lie and pay no consequence? In the Christian life it is a no no. How many out there have ever been guilty of having your children say "I'm not home" when the phone rings? Shame on you, for that is a lie too. You are teaching your children to lie when you do that.

In general it is not good to EVER lie. At times we may stretch the truth or do what the world calls a 'white lie' but is any lying really right? We probably all have lied. If you are ever in court you have to take an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God. When you tell one lie you have to keep up lying to cover up for the other one. It is best just to be honest. What about when someone asks "Do I look fat"? Then what do you do? Do you hurt their feelings or say that is not a fair question to ask?When you fill out a job application you have to sign that the information is correct and you give your word by your signature. Here it is tax time and how many have lied a little bit when it came to taxes? I sure would not mess with the IRS. It is better to always be honest.

Here is a good example of lying. You say you are a believer and go to church and love the Lord. 1 John 2:4 says "Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him." Are you guilty of this? In John 8:32 it says "The truth will set us free" but also in John 8:44 it says "You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies." Do you want to be like Christ or the devil? Proverbs 12:22 says "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight."  

Colossians 3:9 says "Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices." If someone asks you a question, be truthful with them. It is best to be honest and truthful. Proverbs 13:5 says "The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked bring shame and disgrace." When you accept Christ you are a new creation and old things and old habits are to pass away, this includes lying. Ephesians 4:25 says "Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body." Put it off. Stop it. Do not spread falsehoods by gossiping. Gossiping easily ends up in lies as people start adding their own spin to a story. If you say you will keep a confidence do not share something with someone as then you have lied to the friend you promised. "Do not lie" is one of the Ten Commandments as well. Seems like today's world feels it is okay to not be 100% truthful. God is watching at all times so why not be sure to tell the truth.

We have all made mistakes and we can all be forgiven. Just ask God. He is ready to forgive you and help you have the ability to tell the truth.

PRAYER: Lord I want to be honest and truthful and share your love with others. Help me be full of integrity and never tell any kind of lie. Forgive me for when I have lied in the past. If my lies have caused hurt or pain help me go and ask forgiveness then seek restoration. Lord I know it pleases you when I am truthful and I intend to do that with your help.I want a reputation for being a person people can trust and I want to always be truthful. Help me do this.  In Jesus Name. Amen.

Click on link to enjoy and be blessed by a song of victory and freedom.
http://youtu.be/ZWv-UOHzaIc

No comments:

Post a Comment