Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

SHUSH! SHHH! WATCH THAT MOUTH!

Oh my goodness to be able to control what randomly pops out of our mouth. A continual struggle for many. Sometimes the best things said are nothing at all. You have heard "the less said the better?" There is allot of wisdom in that statement. Sometimes talking too much, saying the wrong thing, or being misunderstood leads to confusion, heartache and anguish. Practice silence sometimes and really think before engaging the mouth. Ask yourself "will what I say bring joy or sorrow? Is what I plan to say necessary? Is what I am saying gossip or truthful? Am I breaking a confidence by saying what I am about to say?" Spouting off is really not a good thing to do. Let your words bring joy, encouragement, happiness, help, and not crush someones spirit. Be Christlike in all you say and do. Don't let your mouth be a one man wrecking crew leaving destruction in its' path. Practice speaking with grace and kindness.

To help you with the battle of the mouth here are a few Bible verses to commit to memory as you seek to become more like Christ with not only your actions but your words. Ephesians 4:29 says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Do not just keep babbling on like a running stream. Be careful in what you say. Even when it comes to praying, the Bible has something to say about words and it says "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words." Ecclesiastes 5:2 warns us "Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few." Colossians 4:6 says "Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person."

In contrast try to seek to watch what you say and emulate Jesus who was perfect. Proverbs 30:5 says "Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." Imagine that! Flawless! Tame that tongue. Get it under control. Make it a point to let good things come out and not hurtful, boastful, arrogant, cursing or harsh words.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight oh Lord my strength and my redeemer."(Psalms 19:14). James 1:19 also is one to memorize and live by and it says "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." Run to Jesus. He can help you so let Him.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus help me as I struggle in the area of the mouth. I seek to say only kind words and want to learn to always respond to everyone with grace. If my tongue is hurting others convict me and help me to say I am sorry to anyone I have hurt by my careless words. Help me not lead a double life with the words of my mouth. I know I am a witness for you Lord so strengthen me to get this area of speech under your control. In Jesus Name. Amen

Click link below to enjoy a praise song that goes along with this devotion.
http://youtu.be/9u-13JeJhCg

No comments:

Post a Comment