Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

IMPULSIVE? TRY WAITING.

Are you impulsive? Sometimes it is hard not to be. Do you think over purchases you make while at the local mall shopping or do you just buy, buy, buy with no thought of money or if you need an item? Do you say things without thinking and later regret it or feel stupid? Not waiting and just acting under impulse can backfire in a big way. When it comes to shopping ask yourself "want or need" and you may leave lots on the shelf. When it is your mouth ask yourself is what I am about to say going to help or hurt and is it necessary? Oddly enough even while focusing on this topic to write about I got impulsive a couple times and just sort of sat back and laughed. It is so hard sometimes to learn to wait.

Maybe stop and pray before we do things. Say "God give me wisdom as I shop today" or say "Lord I need your help to control what comes out of my mouth. Give me your strength." He cares about every little detail of your life so why not ask Him?

What does the Bible say about waiting? Perhaps one of the most well known verses about waiting is Isaiah 40:31 which says "but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

Somehow waiting for anything is hard. Waiting for news of an event. Waiting for grades. Waiting to find out if you got a job you applied for. Waiting to see if you are approved for a loan. Waiting to see if you got a scholarship. Waiting for a baby to be born. Waiting for the day of your marriage. Waiting for it to stop snowing so you can get out of the house is one people up north can relate to. Waiting for your flight to arrive so you can leave. Waiting in traffic. There are many types of waiting. Acting under impulse and getting angry while in the waiting process is just not a good thing to do.

If you could not wait for a baby to be born and wanted the OB doctors to take the child out early and give it to you, just think how silly that would be. God is not done with the process of forming and knitting the child together in the mother's womb and obviously, barring a miracle from God himself, the child born early, because of impatience of parents,  would not survive. If you are baking a cake and can not wait til it is done and open the oven door it will fall and besides that be all mushy and unfit for human consumption. If you are running a race and can not wait to get to the finish line and cheat and take a short cut you will be disqualified.Surfers have to wait to catch the perfect wave.  So you see the many examples of why we need to develop the habit of learning to wait. Don't rush things. Do not get impulsive with your tongue while you wait. And do not think you have to go shop just because there is a sale.

Waiting and not being impulsive truly take spiritual discipline. There is that word again. Discipline. Why do things have to be so hard? Why can't things be easier? Nothing good happens easy or overnight. Micah 7:7 says it well "But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Psalm 141:3 is a good verse to end with and it simply says "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, Keep watch over the door of my lips."

PRAYER: Lord help me to wait for your perfect timing in all areas of life. I know being impulsive with words or actions is not a good thing so I need your help and strength to overcome this weakness. Guide me Lord. Thanks ahead of time for helping me. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Click on link below to listen to a song dealing with waiting.
http://youtu.be/Bb7TSGptd3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment