Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, October 28, 2011

THE BIG BLACK BOOK

Are you scared of the Bible? Do you rarely, if ever, even open it up? Were you baptized as a child and given a Bible but think it is some historic book and have no desire to read it? Is the only Bible you own the big huge coffee table kind? I mean that is better than none at all but is not exactly 'user friendly'.  I heard once that a Bible falling apart was owned by someone who was not. Not saying this to say those who read the Bible more are perfect, but they have a handle on how to get through the trials of life more than say someone who never opens it up at all. The 'coffee table' Bible is a nice decoration, family heirloom and a great dust catcher, but the Bible is not supposed to be a decoration but a well used 'tool' of sorts.

2 Timothy 2:15 says "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn't need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth."  Some versions say study instead of be diligent. If you get a new phone and do not open the instruction manual that comes with it you likely will be unfamiliar with how it operates. Likewise if you do not open the Bible you will not know how to gain victory over attacks from the enemy, Satan, or even recognize them as attacks. The enemy would like to keep it that way and keep you disinterested in the Bible as he knows when you read it you will start to have wisdom, knowledge and power to defeat him. He will do all in his power to distract you, make you too busy, or keep you thinking it is the preacher, rabbi or priests'  job to know it and share it with you, but it is not necessary for you to pick it up and read it. Says who? 

Acts 17:11 says " these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." That is what we have to do if we expect to grow in Christ.  You have to search the scriptures. Matthew 5:6 says " Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,  for they will be filled." What does it mean to hunger? Think about being physically hungry. No one really who is reading this has probably ever been at the point of starvation like the children we see in pictures from Third World countries with swelled bellies and ribs sticking out but we know what it feels like to miss a meal and want something to eat. Do you feel that way when you do not get to read the Bible? Do you miss it? Maybe you do not even know how to read it or where to start. Start in Proverbs in the Old Testament. It has 31 chapters so take one month which normally has 31 days and read a chapter a day. After that start reading the book of John. Pray for God to teach you as you read and clear your mind of distractions.

Many through the years have tried to get rid of the Bible as they know the power that is in it. It is the book of truth. No lies are within its' pages. It is our guidebook for life. The acronym I once heard was B.I.B.L.E. or 'Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth'. John 17:17 says "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." Psalm 119:11 says "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you".  To hide the word of God in your heart you have to read and memorize some of it.

Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."  To delight means you are thrilled to be around something or someone. You are delighted or very happy.To delight yourself in the Lord you have to spend time with Him and you spend time with Him by opening up the word to get to know Him better. Psalm 1:1-3 says "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." There is that word again. Delight! So do you want to be delighted in Jesus? Have you truly asked Him to be Lord of your life? Maybe if you are not hungry for God's word  you  have not accepted Him into your heart. You can do that today.

Say "Lord Jesus I need you. I ask to be forgiven of my sins and I want to live for you and serve you. Come in to my heart right now Jesus.I want you to be Lord of my life.Amen." Find a good church that uses the Bible and teaches the uncompromising word of God. It is not about church membership but about a relationship with Jesus and getting to know him through the Holy Bible. The more you read scripture and hide God's word in your heart the more you will become like Him.

PRAYER: I want to thirst for your word Lord. I do not want to put the newspaper, magazines or novels before the Bible. I want the Bible to be first priority in my life and in my day. Forgive me when I have gone for days and not read it at all. I know when I do this I am giving the enemy, Satan, an opportunity to fill my mind with untruths and get me off the path of truth. I want to start today Lord to begin each day with reading the Bible. Guide me and direct me and keep distractions from me as I seek to do this.  In Jesus Name. Amen.

NOTE: enjoy a wonderful worship song as you start your weekend. Be blessed to be a blessing. Click on link below.
http://youtu.be/hGr8as7pPBE

No comments:

Post a Comment