Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, July 8, 2011

HUMMINGBIRDS DO SIT AND REST

 

I have a hummingbird feeder on my back porch and these frantic tiny little birds, who seem to constantly scurry about, do in fact sit down and sip their red colored sugar water every now and then. It is rare to see it and when it happens you have to remain perfectly still lest they see you and flit away into the air again. My nature is pretty high energy and I have been told I am like a hummingbird or an energizer bunny. Guess it is good as I get lots done but even hummingbirds and energizer bunnies need to sit and smell the roses every now and then.

Well this past week a tiny accident forced me to sit and smell the roses for a while. I fractured my little toe so I have to be off my feet as much as possible while it heals. Instead of high energy running I like to do I will go for the milder yet effective water aerobics for now. No hiking either til the toe heals. But I hope you do not have to get hurt in order to force you to slow down and enjoy life. I heard someone today talk about taking a technology break too. That is a good idea along with putting some things on hold if you are able and just enjoying time without a cell phone on your hip and noise everywhere. I have to admit we all need to do it ever so often.

Back to these birds. These little creatures sat down allot during the writing of this devotion. Perhaps God was allowing them  to do that for me to use as my 'word picture'. Take a lesson from them. You do not have to always be wound up and flurrying about. The Bible says in Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

In life it is good to stop every now  and take a break. If you get breaks at work go outside and get some fresh air.  Take a drive in the country. Get out for a walk. I may be  a high energy person but I still do know how to sit and rest and listen to God. It is very enjoyable and renewing for me to have an occasional 'day alone with God' or DAWG day. Even the tiny hummingbird does in fact sit down occasionally on his perch on the feeder we humans put out for them and just suck the juices. Those tiny wings do in fact become still ever so often. It is amazing to witness.

Matthew 11:29 says to "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  In other words rest in God. Let Him shoulder your burdens. Psalm 55:22 tells us to "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Here he is saying, give me your cares. Go find rest for your weary souls.

Are you able to take some time out and just slow down a bit today? You may work in a Fortune 500 company, on Wall Street, in Los Angeles or be a business person with much responsbility. You still need time to slow down, rest and renew. Take care of the temple of God which is your body. Be still and just slow down a bit and listen to God.

PRAYER: Thanks for giving me time Lord to rest and renew and refresh. Forgive me if I fail to take care of the body you have given me by resting ever so often. I thank you for time each day which I can plan a refreshing break. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment