Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

BUSYNESS AND BUSY BODIES

Neither one of these things is a good trait to possess. Why do we here in the United States always seem to be on a hurried busy treadmill of ceaseless activities? Why do we feel we have to constantly be accomplishing something? What is wrong with just being still and knowing that God is God? Now granted those who are employed sometimes have no choice. It  is not your fault if your boss is on you to constantly produce. You do it or suffer the consequences. But I am talking about the busyness we bring on ourselves in our day to day life. Why not set up your calendar to have time for a 'peace break' every now and then? Parents of small children may find the only peaceful break they get is when they lock themselves in the bathroom for a few minutes. Believe me that time will pass and you will miss it. But I am talking to those of us who seem like we have to be involved in everything that comes along or get our children involved in every activity that comes along. Run to this practice and that practice  is better than watching non stop television all night but why is it necessary to have an activity every minute of the day or night? Pray about your activities and make sure you and your family have time to unwind and enjoy their own time at  home as well.  Psalm 101:2 says "I will be careful to lead a blameless life--when will you come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart." To walk with a blameless heart I would think you would have to be structured and calm and have made time for God each day. Just my thoughts on this.

Psalm 46:10 says  “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  In your busyness and hurry scurry do you make anytime for God? Something to think about. If you don't, what can you change in your schedule of 'important' activities to fit Jesus into your day? He is waiting for you. Isaiah 26:3 is another verse on peace and it says "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Try to develop a habit of sitting and being still and taking time in your day to spend time in prayer and Bible reading.

Now to the other 'bad busy' and that is people who stick their noses into others business. Pure and simple we do not need to know everything about everybody. Why is it necessary? Facebook makes all of we who use it a little like busybodies in a sense as we peer into peoples lives to see "what is happening". It can be a fun and useful tool when used in moderation and for the right reasons. But the busybodies here I refer to are more the kind of snoopy people who think they need to know every tidbit of gossip and every thing about everyone or they can not stand themselves. Psalm 131:1 says concerning being nosey "O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. " I am not sure that is really refers to necessarily being snoopy but it basically in a nut shell says not to concern yourself with things you do not need to. Being snoopy leads to gossip and we know what the Bible says about that. It is one of the dangers of that little tongue of ours.2 Thessalonians 3:11 says "For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies." 1 Peter 4:15 says "But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler." A meddler meaning sticking your nose where it does not belong. 1 Thessalonians 4:11 says "And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you". So you can see there is quite a bit in scripture concerning this vital topic. Basically don't be one!

I am not sure where I heard this, but someone said BUSY could be an acronym for 'Being Under Satan's Yoke" and I say, how appropriate. Because if the enemy can keep us distracted with non stop activity, even seemingly good church activities, when do we have time for personal one on one with our Lord and saviour?

If you are over committed or have over committed your children and you see signs of stress ask yourself if what you are doing is really beneficial to getting you closer to the kingdom of God. As I said before with a job it can not be prevented at times but in your own free time you are the one who decides what you do. Make time for friends and relationships and more importantly make time for God. He is waiting. Come to Him and rest in him.

Matthew 11:28 is a good scripture to end with and it says ""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

PRAYER: Lord I want to sit at your feet and rest. Teach me to not get overly scheduled with so much stuff I do not need to do. Help me Father to always put time with you on my calendar. Forgive me for the times I have been so busy I have squeezed you out of my day and forgotten about you. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment