Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

LOSING STUFF

It happens to all of us. Where are my sunglasses? There they are on top of our head. Oh no I can not find my  keys! What is that right there in your  hand? LOL. Where is my checkbook? Put it in another purse perhaps? We humans are certainly attached to our 'stuff". When we misplace something or lose it entirely it is easy to become fixated on it or obsess somewhat. Believe me I know. But it does no good. It will not help it magically reappear to stress over it. A friend of mine in Iowa would say ' blow it off". I'm trying. If what is lost has sentimental value it can even be harder to forget about it. Recently  I misplaced a special greeting card I had received for my birthday. It is driving me bonkers as I am not the kind to just lose a card right after I get it or even throw it away. I usually put it on display then a few special ones maybe stick in my Bible.( I am not like the show Hoarders, do not worry. ) Well this one card is no where to be found. It is making me nutty.  Still what good will it do to be driven nutty? Worrying will not bring it back. 1 Timothy  6:8 says 'with food and clothing be content." But what about my other 'stuff'. Does God have a lesson for me to learn in all this? All things we go through should teach us something. I know one thing, Satan likes to use things like this to get us worried, upset, and distracted and to take our focus off the Lord and his goodness for us.

Maybe we are not to place our trust in our things. Matthew 6:28-30 says “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Let's pretend for a moment that an F5 tornado has just struck your home and it is blown to schmithereens( real word but how do you spell it?). No one is hurt, you all get away unscathed with the best gift ever, that being your life. But all your earthly possessions, to include those special greeting cards, pictures, and other things of sentimental value are no where to be found. Perhaps they were blown hundreds of miles away torn to shreds. And it is said that there are no U Hauls following funeral processions to the graveyard. Precious memories that are material are gone but you are saved. Your memories are only in your head. You have to move on. Nothing can be done about it.

Mark 10:21-22 reads, "Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. "  Even if all we have goes away God is still there. But sometimes we think it is hard to part with our 'toys'. I have some friends who are stateside  mobile missionaries who now live in a motor home and have no home base elsewhere so basically they got rid of a ton of things to downsize to that type lifestyle. Could you do it? Could I do it? No attic somewhere with grandma's things in it or high school or college yearbooks. Something to think about.

Our hope is to be in the unshakeable, unchangeable savior Jesus Christ. Psalm 71:5 says "O Lord, you alone are my hope. I've trusted you, O LORD, from childhood." Give God your cares and concerns. Hebrews 13:5 says "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."


PRAYER: Lord help us to not set our hope on our 'things' but on you our only hope. IN Jesus Name. AMen.

No comments:

Post a Comment