Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Friday, October 22, 2010

HOLD YOUR TONGUE!!

There are so many things in the Bible about the mouth. It  may be one of the greatest subjects that is discussed over and over. Problems with 'the tongue' include gossip, lies, half truths( still lies), nagging, meddling, angry words, opinions when not asked, complaining and profanity. Topics discussed in Proverbs range from  speaking too much, out of turn, or being a 'fool' with your words. One translation of the Bible even says to 'turn off the flow' referring to closing our mouth. (See Proverbs 10:19). Proverbs 10:14 says 'a wise man holds his tongue. Only a fool blurts out everything he knows; that only leads to sorrow and trouble."  Ouch, me a fool??

Think over any time in your life where maybe a hasty word or something unthought out has caused chaos or a misunderstanding. It has happened to me I know. That tongue sure needs to be tamed. When you do not think before you speak, which now days could include sending a hasty email, you can embarrass yourself  causing pain and suffering for yourself and for the recipient and at times a trickle down effect can hurt others. Do not get yourself involved in the affairs of others and always have to put in your two cents. (See Proverbs 11:29 which refers to provoking your family to anger and resentment.) Proverbs 13:17 says "A unreliable messenger can cause a lot of trouble.  Reliable communication permits progress." If you have offended someone be willing to ask forgiveness.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath ,but harsh words cause quarrels.' (Proverbs 15:1). Proverbs 15:28 says " A good man thinks before he speaks,the evil man pours out his evil words without a thought. " Finally Proverbs 18:21 says "Those who love to talk will suffer the consequences. Men have died for saying the wrong thing!"

Whether it is in marriage, a friendship, at work or in the marketplace we need to be careful to think before we blurt out things. (Read James 3).James 1:19 is a verse I often write at the bottom of a wedding card and it says simply, "Let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry." With Gods' help we can.

PRAYER: Lord God I represent you here on this earth. I do not want to do anything to embarrass you by my words or actions. Give me the strength and wisdom to know when to open my mouth and when to keep it closed. In Jesus Name. Amen.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

1 comment:

  1. So true! I've discovered the hard way that "A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city.." Proverbs 18:19

    ReplyDelete